Thursday 16 February 2012

First post: neither meaningful nor insightful

First post but not my first blog. I used to have one where I posted my thoughts and views on everything in my life. I really liked it. Found it really therapeutic. But then the wrong people in my life started reading it and it just started causing me more trouble than it was worth. I tried changing the url and stuff but people always seemed to find it somehow. Real random acquaintances started asking me about it and it just got to the stage where I felt like I was becoming 'that guy with the blog', and I didn't like it.

So this time round I'm gonna keep it real discreet. This is for me and not anyone else. I've been meaning to start a new one for a good while but I'm awful at starting these things out and I hate going through the whole process of getting it going. I'm also incredibly unimaginative when it comes to names and stuff like that. Definitely my least favourite part. I always end up having to just go for a reference to something that holds a special meaning for me at that time. So this time round I went for this:
I find that when I hear a cover of a song that I've always loved, like this, I go through 3 phases. I'm currently in the 1st phase with this one which is being in love with it. The 2nd phase, which I'm not looking forward to at all, is the realisation that it is still essentially the same song I've been listening to for years and I get real sick of it. I'll generally go about a year or two without listening to it when that happens. That's when phase 3 kicks in and I come to like it for what it is. A different perspective on something I've always loved. Right now I'm just gonna enjoy phase 1 while it lasts. As I said at the start, it means a lot/reminds me of an experience that's been running through my mind a lot in the last few days.

When I have an experience like that, one which keeps cropping up in the recesses of my consciousness, I always like to give it a bit of thought. Some people try to kind of ignore that kind of thing but I figure it keeps coming back for a reason. Sometimes it's just a moment that's nice to relive, even if you've already deciphered the meaning of it's constant presence in your thoughts. 

If this all seems like I'm being very cryptic, it's not intentional. Or certainly not wholly so. After my previous experience with this blogging thing I'm probably gonna be more reserved with regards to the specific details of my life, at least for the first stage of this blog's existence. As well as this, I'm currently listening to music (and may I just say that shuffle is playing an absolute blinder tonight) and I'm not good at tracking my thought process while listening to music. I'm not what you'd call a good multi-tasker. So this probably adds to the feeling of constantly concealing details and backtracking on myself. Or maybe I'm making perfect sense (although I doubt it somehow). Either way my narrative just feels very clumsy tonight for some reason. Could just be that it's been so long since the last time I tried to articulate my thoughts like this and I need a bit of time to get back into it. 

This post is starting to get very long. I'll leave you with one more song:
I just realised that both of these songs appear at important points in 'Friends'. The original version of the first song is playing on Rachel and Ross's first date and the second one is playing at the very end of the last episode as the camera pans around the appartment. Completely unintentional but funny how stuff like that happens sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment